Pages

Monday 23 April 2012

From One Stone to Another

Howdy!,

It's  brand new week and since my final backflip shot is all done submitted it means I get to dive into something brand new. Trying something different and finding new challenges and goals to chase with each assignment is part of the fun, so let's do it.

On the weekend I started laying down the foundation for what will be Stuwie will be doing (another bipedal character, but still no arms. He's kinda cute)
This time around the movements in the shot aren't anything too crazy, so I actually had a lot of fun practising the exact actions of hopping, shifting, splitting and rolling (yes rolling). I did all the actions with my hands in my pockets as to be as close as possible to the character, and not leaving too much up to my imagination when using it as reference later.The animation will basically be Stuwie jumping and hopping from one stone to another across what is essentially a river/pond to get to the other side, stumbling forwards at the very end into a roll and funny little butt plant.
 (A shout out to my sis Anya for filming take after take and doing a pretty good job)
After feeling out the rythm I developed in the video reference I got a clear idea of the important beats I want to hit in terms of the poses and timing involved. In my planning I attempted as much as possible to make clear to myself the shifts in weight, as its integral to making this shot convincing.



Sketching out the poses from a more side on perspective in conjunction with analysing my video reference  will also help me make the right changes when going from pose to pose once I start bringing it together in CG:

Stay tuned as I head into blocking this week (with hopefully no stumbling!)

2 comments:

  1. the butt plant was the best (and cutest) part of that video. Can't wait to see the end result

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your work Dries. I'm with Jorisca on this one: Can't wait to see Stuwie in action jumping the stones!

    ReplyDelete